Sunday, November 22, 2009

Vampires Suck. Particularly Meyer's.

I was in the bookstore one day, carelessly flipping through books in the Young Adult section, when I realized just how many books about vampires and vampire romances there are. This news hit me like a ton of bricks. Must everyone copy Stephanie Meyer and her horrible series?

Not that I really blame Twilight. Sure, it all started with Meyer's series and the wave of teenage fans she got, but it really isn't fair to dump the decline of the literary universe on her shoulders.

And no, this isn't a rant about Twilight, although I should stop before I actually start. This blog was supposed to be a list of some recent books I've read and their grades, and that is exactly what I intend to do. So, let's begin.

1) Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris : A

If you judge a book by it's title, then I won't blame you if you avoid this book at all possible costs. But it really is one of those books that once you start, you can't seem to stop. Don't run away from it's 500 word awesomeness, and try to get your hands on one as soon as possible.

2) The Order of Odd-Fish : A++++++

Maybe one of the best books I've ever read. Filled to the brim with enjoyable characters, action, mad villains and fairy tales come to life, this was an amazing book that I'd recommend even to the most critical eye.

3) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies : B

Halfway through with this one. I like it, it's generally easy to follow and relatively fun to read. It just gets confusing at some points, endless ramblings of Mr. Collins or what not.

4) Good Omens : A

Apocalypse. What's not to like?

5) The Palace of Mirrors : C

I don't like her style of writing. It's kind-of juvenile, in it's own way.

So ends the last of my recent reads. Recommendations for new ones are appreciated.

"The decline of literature indicates the decline of a nation."

Amen to that.

39 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Blu!

    This is James Kennedy. I just came across your great review of "The Order of Odd-Fish." Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. An A++++++ is my kind of grade!

    Seriously, it was a pleasure to come across this. I'm really happy you liked my book. Thanks again.

    James

    --
    http://www.jameskennedy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. 正點喔 多謝大大無私的分享 感恩拉( ̄∀ ̄)........................................

    ReplyDelete
  4. 成功是一把梯子,雙手插在口袋裡是爬不上去的。 ..................................................

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those of you who can't read Chinese, all these commenters are saying they love "Odd-Fish" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour. ....................................................

    ReplyDelete
  7. 向著星球長驅直進的人,反比踟躕在峽路上的人,更容易達到目的。..................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  8. 在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」......................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  9. 當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

    ReplyDelete
  10. 找一個懂妳的人也期許自己做一個人懂別人的人~.........................................

    ReplyDelete
  11. 愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。......................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  12. 好文章就值得回響,如果可以常常看到您的更新,應該是件很幸福的事情~~...............................................................

    ReplyDelete
  13. 真正仁慈的人,會忘記他們做過的善行,他們全心投入現在的工作,過去的事已被遺忘。.................................................

    ReplyDelete